Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply to become an Authorised Representative?

Click HERE and complete our Online Application Form.

What does it cost to be authorised by SAN?

There is a flat dollar fee payable, based on the number of authorised representatives (ARs) in your practice:

  • First AR is $250 (+GST) per month
  • Second and subsequent ARs are an extra $125 (+GST) per month

These payments will be payable monthly via direct debit.

What do I get for my authorisation fee?

As the licensee, we need to ensure our ARs provide advice in a way that meets ASIC’s requirements.
To enable you provide advice, we will provide you the following:

  • Tailored Financial Services Guide (FSG)
  • Fact Finder template
  • Software to produce:
    • A general asset class investment strategy
    • Statements of Advice for:
      • SMSF establishment
      • Contributions/withdrawals
      • Pensions
      • LRBAs
      • SMSF wind up
  • Compliance audits
  • Industry updates
  • Compliance and IT phone support
  • Discounted rate for NTAA Super Schools seminars

All document templates provided are regularly reviewed to ensure that the materials provided comply with the legislative requirements for providing licensed advice.

Does my accounting practice PI cover me for giving SMSF advice under your licence?

Your existing PI policy will not cover financial product advice.

Do these fees include Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance?

No. Please note that SAN has secured a competitive PI solution for all ARs and it is a requirement for all ARs to join this policy.

  • $700 (plus GST) per annum, per practice up to a maximum of three ARs; and
  • $250 (plus GST) per annum, for each additional AR thereafter
Do I need RG146?

Yes, however RG146 covers a wide range of accreditation. SAN doesn’t require accreditation in the full range of RG146 areas of knowledge.
You will need to be accredited for the following RG146 areas:

  • Superannuation;
  • Self Managed Superannuation;
  • Generic Knowledge; and
  • Skills.

Pinnacle’s SMSF Personal Advice Course is designed to cover these RG146 areas of knowledge. Find out more at

I completed a RG146 course several years ago – will this count?

If it was more than two years ago, please contact our compliance team to discuss.

What advice will I be able to give?

SAN offers authorisation to provide advice on SMSFs and superannuation, specifically:

  • Establishment of an SMSF
  • Pension strategies (TRIS and account based)
  • Contribution Strategies (concessional, non-concessional, in specie transfers, withdrawal and recontribution)
  • Transfer of business real property into superannuation
  • Withdrawals and commutations
  • Limited Recourse Borrowing Arrangements
  • Provision of a General Asset Class Investment Strategy for SMSF trustees
  • Winding up of SMSFs
Can my practice be authorised to cover all my staff?

Anybody providing advice must be authorised individually.

The person providing advice to your clients must be authorised and will be held responsible for all advice given.

Can administration staff prepare documentation on behalf of an AR?

Yes. Preparation of advice documents and other non-advice administration can be performed by someone that is not authorised.

However, as per the above, the AR will be held responsible for all advice documents.

Importantly, no advice is to be provided by anyone who is not authorised.

If you are unsure about this, be sure to ask.

Who owns my SMSF and Superannuation clients?

You retain client ownership.

What about CPD – do I have to do more than what I already do?

CPD will be accepted only if it relates to your advice activities.

For example, the NTAA Super Schools seminars provide 6.5 structured points per day toward superannuation CPD, which could apply to both your accounting practice and SAN. However, a session on payroll tax will have no CPD application under SAN’s CPD requirements.

Please see our website for more information on our CPD requirements.